The decision to retain a student at their current year level is a serious one with far-reaching personal consequences for the student. In all cases, it must be approved by the Principal with agreement from parents.
The following factors should be considered in any decision:
- Academic progress and performance evident from reports and teacher comment
- Emotional maturity
- Social factors including level of support available
At the end of Semester 1, Student Managers, in conjunction with Welfare and Careers personnel (where appropriate), identify students whose performance indicates they may be at risk of retention and put strategies in place to address issues (eg. interview with parents, progress reports)
– Student Managers, in conjunction with Welfare and Careers personnel (where appropriate), identify possible students for retention, prior to the end of the year.
– Head of Sub School develops individual profile of students addressing above factors
– Head of Sub School, with appropriate personnel, interviews parents and student
– Head of Sub School makes recommendation to Principal for retention or promotion on contract. Principal interview with parent and student prior to decision to retain
– During 1st term, Head of Sub School interview with all students promoted on contract
– Student Managers facilitate progress report to Principal/parent at end of Term 1
– During 2nd term, Principal interview with all identified students promoted on contract